ADU Construction is becoming a popular option for homeowners looking to add extra living space. ADU’s or accessory dwelling units make use of compact functional spaces. This is where smart furniture plays an important role. When square footage is limited, being strategic with design and furniture choices makes all the difference. We’re sharing some space-saving furniture ideas for San Diego ADU Construction by ADU Contractors that pack in function and style.
Getting Creative with Multi-Functional Furniture
Smart furniture does double or triple duty to lend flexibility. Standard rooms can convert to generate extra sleeping space or work areas in a snap. Some adaptable furnishings to consider for an ADU include:
- Murphy beds – These fold-down beds tuck completely out of sight into a wall unit when not in use. Out of sight translates to opening up floor space.
- Convertible coffee tables – Sturdy coffee tables with built-in storage hide a lift-up bed or work surface inside.
- L-shaped modular sectionals – Larger sectional configurations maximize seating for guests by day. At night, ottomans fill in the open corner space to create a comfy sleeping area.
- Nesting tables – Stackable tables stow away easily when only one is needed temporarily. They come in assorted heights for versatile function.
Smart Furniture Allows for Flexible Working Spaces
With more people working from home, having a dedicated office space in an ADU is appealing. But furniture that adapts to different needs allows for a multifunctional room. Some flexible options include:
- Convertible desk: An all-in-one desk and dining table works for eating meals or working. A fold-down leaf creates more surface area for using a laptop and papers when needed.
- Lift-top coffee table: Stash a keyboard tray inside coffee tables with lift-tops. It creates an impromptu desk for working or surfing the web from a comfy couch.
- Modular seating cubes: Lightweight stools tuck under tables or desks when not in use. They’re easy to move around for extra guest seating too.
Incorporating Multi-Functional Appliances
Appliance selections also influence the versatility of an ADU. Units that integrate various cooking modes maximize what’s possible in a streamlined kitchen. Our top appliance space-savers include:
- Speed ovens: A combination microwave-oven-convection oven speeds everything from baking to broiling. Its upright design needs less square footage than a standard 30-inch oven and stove top.
- Induction cooktops: Cooktops that use magnetic induction to heat pans offer more flexibility than standard ranges. Portable units store away easily in drawers and no ventilation hood is needed.
- Combo washer-dryers: All-in-one washer-dryers provide 2-appliances-in-1 technology. These units have a ventless drying system condensing moisture to allow installation anywhere.
Just like transformable furniture, appliances designed for small spaces unlock many possibilities. Utilizing vertical space and multi-use items curb clutter in any size ADU.
Smart Storage Solutions
Incorporating storage into furniture streamlines an ADU’s design and organization. Some options pull triple duty as a seat, table, and storage piece all in one. We gathered some of our favorite picks:
|Generous interior holds blankets and pillows
|Lift-up lid serves as a surface for food, drink or feet
|Coffee table bench
|Bottom shelf for baskets
|Bench seating and tabletop
|Upholstered storage bench
|Interior divides into compartments
|Comfortable seating at the foot of a bed
|Enclosed shelves neatly stow electronics
|Integrated TV stand completes the entertainment center
Getting everything in its place prevents clutter while allowing furnishings to handle multiple roles.
With some smart thinking up front, furnishings ideas for ADUs don’t need to break the budget. Rental pieces or quality furniture scores from flea markets merge function, savings and charm into one package. Add your own brand of creativity as the finishing touch! San Diego ADU contractors have urban infill expertise working in California spaces of all sizes. Reach out today to get conversation started on building out your ADU’s custom details including specialized furniture.