Garage doors are often the most neglected of all household door systems. They are used casually and almost always left open or closed without thought. Yet, because of this lack of consideration, it is important to consider all options before buying or replacing a garage door system. The first thing you need to determine before you replace your garage door is what material type you want the new one to be made out of.
There are three main types of garage door material:
- Steel Doors – These are the most common and affordable of the three main types. They also tend to be very low-maintenance and can come in a variety of finishes. Steel doors are also very versatile and durable.
- Wood Doors – These are a good choice for a rustic, country home. Wood garage doors don’t require much maintenance and also come in a wide variety of styles, finishes and colors to match your home’s exterior.
- Composite Doors – these doors are made of a combination of wood fibers, plastic and other materials and typically come in a few different styles (example: carriage house). Composite doors most closely resemble wood garage doors and offer most of the same benefits including low-maintenance and no need to paint or stain.
Apart from choosing the door materials, you should wisely choose an experienced contractor for garage door replacement Hampton VA.
There are also three main types of garage door hardware you should be aware of when shopping for a new door.
- Standard Deadbolt – uses a standard key to open the door from outside and lock/unlock from the inside.
- Combination Deadbolt – Typically used with a keypad entry system, these doors have a deadbolt as well as a keypad entry.
- Electronic Keyless Entry – These systems offer the convenience of not needing to carry keys or fumble with locks. There are many different types of keyless entry systems available, some with touchpad or button entry and others that require a security card to enter.